Jonathan helps anxious professionals, struggling college students, and victims of trauma. His passion is helping clients see results quickly so that they can get the life they deserve!
Jonathan believes counseling should be an interesting and focused process, centered around helping you achieve the life you want. He believes strongly in helping you see results, and his approach is very direct and honest, while maintaining warmth and a sense of humor.
Jonathan has hundreds of hours of additional training and experience in the treatment of trauma, and has helped people heal from some of the worst events imaginable, as well as just the “wear and tear” of everyday life. He also specializes in anger and anxiety, as well as behavioral addictions.
In addition to his clinical work, he enjoys training other counselors by providing guest lectures for the Counseling program at West Virginia University. He also provides clinical supervision to counselors seeking licensure, as well as post-license supervision. He also provides training for the Mon County Victim Witness Assistance Program and has taught workshops on frustration tolerance with the Mon County iFather Program.
Jonathan believes that most people who see a counselor are not psychologically abnormal. Most people are having normal reactions to a complex, stressful, ever-changing world. His job is simply to help you become more effective in dealing with that world. Most people are never taught advanced skills in communication, relationships, habit change, or emotion control. A large part of his work is teaching you those skills, to help you navigate your life more effectively.
To work with Jonathan, call 304-381-3659 ext 1, or click here and fill out the contact form!
Degrees and Certifications:
Master of Arts in Counseling: West Virginia University
Licensed Professional Counselor: WV License 2059
Approved Licensed Professional Supervisor
National Certified Counselor
Certified Trauma Therapist
Read more about Jonathan Pishner.
- I believe that most people who see a counselor are not psychologically abnormal. They are having normal reactions to a complex, stressful, ever-changing world. No matter the problem, people cope in the best way they know how. My job is simply to help them become more effective in their coping.
- Most people are never taught advanced skills in communication, relationships, habit change, or emotion control. A large part of my work is teaching these skills to my clients, to help them navigate their life more effectively.
- Many healthcare practitioners believe that their clients should be sheltered from pain, strong emotion, and stress. I disagree with this, and believe that treating my clients as if they are weak or fragile is insulting to them and detrimental to their treatment.
- I do not believe in a one-therapy-fits-all approach. I am experienced in multiple treatment theories and approaches, and I seek to individualize treatment for each of my clients.
- I believe in helping my clients see results. My approach is very direct and honest, while maintaining warmth and a sense of humor.
- Above all, I seek to help my clients develop the tools to find their own way in life, rather than imposing my own values and beliefs on them.